[clug] SheevaPlug alternatives?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:43:48 MST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> wrote:
> The model I use is a Asus WL500gP (with 2 USB 2.0 ports.) However, that
> model is 4 years old or so now. Mine works well as a file server, with
> the one proviso that file transfer rates are limited to around 500KiB/s
> - the CPU gets pegged transferring data over the USB.

I have a WL500gP. I found that with about 32Mb of ram it struggled to
run rtorrent and as you pointed out file transfers were not too fast
so watching an AVI file over the network had frequent and annoying
pauses/skips. Anyhow, it is currently at my parents' house running
DD-WRT as their wifi router since they just have an old non-wifi ADSL
modem.

> Another option might be the Seagate Dockstar, which is basically a
> SheevaPlug in a funny case. They're a clearance item in the US now,
> looks like you can get them internationally on ebay for under $100
> delivered.

Interesting...

--
Carlo Hamalainen