[clug] making firefox run where you want it

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Dec 9 00:19:53 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 18:08, Michael James <clug3 at james.st> wrote:

> I don't grok KDE, and now it's biting me in the bum.

This has nothing to do with KDE. ;)

> If I don't have any instances of firefox on my desktop
>  then invoking firefox on the command line starts one.
> If perchance I do this on an X enabled SSH connection,
>  then it starts on that host and displays on my desktop.
[...]
> BUT, if I have an instance of firefox already, local or remote,
>  any attempt to start another, anywhere,
>  will be referred to the existing instance.
> HOW DOES IT DO THAT?

It looks for an atom on the root window that identifies the running
Firefox instance, then uses their remote management protocol (over X
atoms, IIRC) to communicate the request to the running instance.

> And more important, is there anything I can do to stop it?

] firefox -no-remote http://example.com/

Regards,
    Daniel
--