[clug] Digital Camera selection help

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Aug 31 18:22:22 MDT 2010

On 01/09/2010, at 01:04 , Michael Carden wrote:

> I worked for Panasonic ... everyone else getting it wrong.
>
> It still amazes me that people (aka Canon users) accept that pressing
> the "Take a Picture Now" button on a Canon PAS camera is just a hint
> to the camera that you might like a photo sometime soon.

I've been looking around at P&S cameras for a while, with experience using everything from a Nikon CoolPix 995 through to the new Panasonic Lumix TZ10.  The "digital lag" you're referring to is common to all these devices.  Some of them reduce the lag by over-amplifying the signal from the CCD which results in skies being dithered, not a problem for faces and flowers where colours are complex to start with, but a pain in the arse when what you're trying to photograph is, say, yellow wattle flowers against a clear blue late Winter sky in Canberra.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "everyone else getting it wrong".

Alex