[clug] extundelete

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 04:09:40 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 18:05, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We will not be discussing exactly why I need this at this present juncture.
>
> Andrew, I'm sure that the only reason nobody has popped up to laugh is
> that each and every one of us has at some time felt the chill of "Oh
> no, what did I just do?"

Hrmpfh!  In this it was a "Big Freaking Chill" given that the 100GB or
so I just nuked on a scratch partition was the results of some HPC
work that had kept a dedicated 80 core i7 cluster busy for just a
little over 4 months.

So yes I could have re-generated it all but very much preferred not to...

> Here's hoping that extundelete saves your bacon.

And that it did, or at least 90% of it, the remaining bits I can
probably re-generate in 2 or 3 days. It was ridiculously simple to
make it work

   # PANIC stations! remount the disaster partition read only
   $ sudo mount -o remount,ro /export02

   # get it and compile
   $ tar jxvf extundelete-0.2.0.tar.bz2

   # install pre-reqs, config + compile
   $ sudo apt-get install e2fslibs-dev automake
   $ cd extundelete-0.2.0
   $ ./configure
   $ sudo make install

   # now cross fingers and recover to somewhere else
   $ mkdir /tmp/everything-crossed
   $ cd /tmp/everything-crossed
   $ sudo extundelete /dev/sdb --recover-all

and it *just worked*, directory structure and all at which point I
exhaled, unclenched slightly and rode the 17 odd km home taking out my
pent up energy on the bike.

:)

--
Andrew Janke