[clug] Streaming ABC radio

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Fri Aug 27 03:49:30 MDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:02:51 +1000
Steven Hanley <sjh at svana.org> wrote:

> AFAIR Chris Yeoh has some of the USB radio receives that allow you to
> recieve radio from both AM and FM (FM is common in tv tuners but AM
> is not) and save the stream onto a computer over usb.

Not me, though I vaguely remember looking into it a few years ago
because I wanted a simple mythtv equivalent for radio - though just for
ABC radio. These days pretty much everything I'm interested in is
available as a podcast so I just use those.

FWIW I've found the ABC to be *very* responsive to requests for new ways
to get their information to their listeners. Eg their programs like
AM/PM/WorldToday were at first just realplayer streams. But after
people like me wrote to them they at least made mp3s available. And
after having a discussion over email about how they could use
twitter better locally they implemented it a couple of weeks later.

So Bob, its definitely worth emailing them with what you want and why.
Some of the local ABC radio programs in Adelaide put up recordings of
parts of their shows already - the main news stories/political
interviews etc.

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org