[clug] Streaming ABC radio

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 21:41:08 MDT 2010

 On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:23:55 +1000 Robert Edwards
<bob_at_cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:

>> > Hmmm.... maybe you're missing a compile-time option to VLC (e.g.
>> > win32codecs)?  I'll try it when I get home tonight to see if it works
>> > there.
>> >
> So, I am running on Lucid and I have the following VLC packages:
>
> # dpkg --get-selections | grep vlc
> libvlc2						install
> libvlccore0					install
> libvlccore2					install
> vlc						install
> vlc-data					install
> vlc-nox						install
> vlc-plugin-jack					install
> vlc-plugin-pulse				install
> vlc-plugin-sdl					install
>
> # apt-cache search win32 vlc
> #
>
> I can't see any other win32 vlc-related packages that I might
> install (unless they are from a PPA somewhere).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

You need "w32codecs"
should be installed in /usr/lib/win32/...

one repository:-

# Debian multimedia
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org insert_approp_value_here main non-free

(see the webpage for signing key instructions)

You can also play .asx streams with mplayer (though it also needs
w32codecs installed or compiled)
With either player you can just download the .asx file and play locally
(vlc/mplayer local.asx)