[clug] Streaming ABC radio

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Thu Aug 26 20:41:05 MDT 2010

I had the same problem, vlc can not play that .asx.

An .asx file is just an XML file listing various endpoints, so I figured
it might help to see what it contained

$ *curl http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/includes/winstream.asx*
<ASX version = "3.0" BannerBar = "FIXED">
<ABSTRACT>ABC Local Radio</ABSTRACT>
<TITLE>ABC Local Radio</TITLE>
<AUTHOR>ABC Local Radio</AUTHOR>
<COPYRIGHT>2006 by Australian Broadcasting Corporation</COPYRIGHT>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "mms://media3.abc.net.au/666Canberra" />
<Ref href = "http://media3.abc.net.au/666Canberra" />
<Ref href = "http://www.abc.net.au/streaming/apol/apol288.asf" />
</Entry>
</ASX>

If I point VLC at the first entry there, it plays correctly for me:

$ *vlc http://media3.abc.net.au/666Canberra*

VLC identifies the codec as 'wma2'. If instead I try and

$ *vlc http://www.abc.net.au/streaming/apol/apol288.asf*

I get the same error as the .asx itself. I suppose vlc is not smart
enough to try all the streams listed.