[clug] Streaming ABC radio

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 26 18:55:22 MDT 2010

On 27/08/10 10:51, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 27 August 2010 10:46, Robert Edwards<bob at cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:
>> For some weird reason, AM reception at my place has badly deteriorated
>> recently and I can't find the source of the interference. (a handheld
>> radio shows that the interference is all through the house and around
>> the external periphery, but fades away as I move away from the house,
>> so I am suspecting something in the 240V wiring).
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to try listening to ABC local radio via "the
>> Internet".
>>
>> Seems I have two choices: "Real Media" or "Windows Media" (good ol'
>> ABC giving their tax-payer funding audience a choice...)
>>
>> Actually, turns out that ABC local radio in Canberra is only available
>> on "Win" (I think that means "Windows Media", as opposed to "Win TV")
>> (see http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/ ).
>>
>> So, before I spend too much time re-discovering the wheel, what options
>> do I have to listen to ABC local radio's internet stream from Linux?
>>
>> In particular, I am interested in a minimal command line interface, if
>> possible, so I can easily script it and run it on an embedded device
>> (eg. use a cron job for an alarm clock etc.).
>
> VLC?  Just point it at
> http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/includes/winstream.asx (can't recall
> the command line options to do so unfortunately).

Hadn't thought of VLC, but I will need some hand-holding.

VLC says (when "pointed at
http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/includes/winstream.asx"):

"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately
there is no way for you to fix this."

Doesn't sound like it thinks I have much chance of success.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.