[clug] Apple vs Linux Ecosystem

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Aug 19 21:46:54 MDT 2010

Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Steve Jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>>  - if all else fails, ask CLUG...
>
> just to clarify the workflow, does that come before or after the RT_M
> ritual?  ;)

It can come either end of it, and helps select between people posting
solutions to your question and links to http://lmgtfy.com/  :)

>> And if I find out something significant/useful, I write it up and send it
>> to CLUG as a 'permanent record'.
>
> While I really appreciate the writeups, summaries and howtos sent to the
> CLUG list, it does not really work as a 'permanent record', at least one in
> which you can find stuff easily.  It would be really nice if we could find a
> mechanismto get these onto the CLUG wiki in some structured way.

Repositories of knowledge like that can't be automated, they need curation.
The best mechanism would be to have folks who want it to work capture
information and ensure it stays relevant.

Success, of course, is when that collection of information becomes useful
enough that it grows beyond the little fiefdom of CLUG and starts to be used
by folks elsewhere in the LUG universe.  IMO, obviously.

        Daniel