[clug] Apple vs Linux Ecosystem

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Aug 19 20:51:42 MDT 2010

Steve Jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> writes:

[...]

> What I appreciate about the Linux/FOSS ecosystem:
>  - it's not Pay-all-the-way. You *can* buy stuff, but don't have to.
>  - often times, "google it" yields a few good answers.
>  - fsck, except for Reiser (others?), run once, all good.

Most other file system developers are well behaved, but XFS is a little odd:
they have a real fsck tool (xfs_repair), but fsck.xfs is a stub that just
returns "true" and all since they don't /need/ out-of-kernel recovery for
anything but the most serious problems.

Anyway, "run once, all good" is usually true, but not always: I have had
problems that took several passes of the repair tools to finish recovering
before.  Usually pretty serious corruption issues, though.

        Daniel