[clug] Apple vs Linux Ecosystem

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Aug 19 19:29:04 MDT 2010

On 20/08/2010, at 11:08 , Steve Jenkin wrote:

> Multiple runs of 'disk repairs' later, all good. [Many hours...]
> [Pretty scary messages from Disk Utility, too!]

Tell me you have replaced the disk? Or are you opting for the "nah, it can't break *twice*" philosophy?

> Advice from a Mate That Knows: get DiskWarrior.  US$100
> A$160 <http://www.alsoft.com/Buy/index.html>

DiskWarrior or fsck are not going to solve the problem. They are tools of last resort.

Drive breaks -> replace disk, restore from backup.

DiskWarrior is for people who believe their drives won't break, and is a tool you apply to recover data after your disk has broken, because you'd prefer to spend two hours fussing with your machine rather than sitting back reading a book while your restore process runs.

Just because your file system is now working again, doesn't mean the disk is "working".

Alex