[clug] New list?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 18 18:30:47 MDT 2010

David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> writes:
> On 19/08/2010, at 8:51 AM, Hugh Fisher wrote:
>> Chris Smart wrote:
>>
>>> I've no problem with people discussing what they want to discuss, but
>>> I think that there's value in an alternative where we can discuss
>>> *Linux* without the noise.
>>
>> Separating technical discussion from social discussion is a nice idea that
>> never, ever, works. Google for "A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy" by Clay
>> Shirky.
>
> +1 - putting it in my inevitable blunt style (and noone will probably like
> me for it), LinuxSA started to decline when the lists split.

Well, on the same vein of evidence: LUV has had multiple lists (including some
SIG technical lists, but mostly "main" and "talk") for an awfully long time,
and is one of the more active LUGs I am subscribed to the lists of.

So, while I can't comment on the SA LUG I can say that at least some places do
fine in the face multiple lists.

What I couldn't recommend is SIG lists: I am yet to see a LUG big enough that
the SIG gets any traffic of real note; Sydney with their programmers SIG is
the most lively, and the rare content there would hardly overflow the main
list or anything like that.

        Daniel