[clug] New list?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 18 07:58:01 MDT 2010

Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 17:17, Neill Cox <neill.cox at ingenious.com.au> wrote:
>> I have to admit I'm a bit over some of the OT threads, but maybe I should
>> just setup a filter :)
>
> Or to bring things back to a vaguely linux topic, learn how to use
> your email reader and mute threads.. :)

[...]

> emacs + gnus email:
>    http://mah.everybody.org/docs/mail/
> or
>    Ctrl-X, Meta-P, Alt-Z, %, (, ), Ctrl-F, Alt-M, o, p   [1]

Much more helpful is 'L s s t', also known as "Lower Subject Substring
Temporary", and will score down the thread so you don't get bugged by it,
but only for a while.[1]

Pleasantly coupled with 'I a s p' (inc, author, permanent) it makes it
possible to only read, by default, comments by authors you like in the
threads you don't.

I can't imagine living without those tools.

        Daniel

Which is why I currently suffer the limitations of Gnus, and text-only HTML
rendering, in favour of other mail readers.  Oh, well.

Footnotes:
[1]  This helps in those other places that the subject line stays the same for
     weeks, but the content drifts wildly.