[clug] New list?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 18 07:33:21 MDT 2010

Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sign me up to the list where we *can* talk about women in open source. Been
>> yonks since we've had one of those ... errr ... "discussions" *cough*.
>
> Moving off samba.org we could have anything we like!

If you created your own list you could have whatever rules you wanted, without
having to account to anyone else for what it was and why.  If it was, in fact,
the most popular approach you should trivially attract your audience, right?

[...]

> I've no problem with people discussing what they want to discuss, but I
> think that there's value in an alternative where we can discuss *Linux*
> without the noise.

What part of the marginalization of women in Linux, and the FOSS community in
general, is related to something other than Linux?

(I note you didn't complain terribly about the SFD discussions which are
 also focused on the broader FOSS community, not just Linux, so it seems
 reasonable to conclude your issue isn't that slight change of focus...)

It might not be what /you/ want to talk about, but that isn't quite the same
thing, no?

> Looks like it might just be me.

Nah.  There are *plenty* of other people out there luxuriating in their
privilege and happy to fight to keep it.  You are unlikely to be lonely.

        Daniel