[clug] Out of Memory: Kill process 2689 (mysqld) score 33827 and children.

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Aug 17 23:47:17 MDT 2010

Carlo Hamalainen <carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you really think so?  With 150 Apache clients, running PHP, I would be
>> pretty surprised if this wasn't just regular old memory exhaustion.  They
>> only have 3MB of unique memory per Apache process *without* counting
>> anything like the MySQL service, or the kernel, or anything else.
>
> I've been watching the mod_status page of Apache and I'm not seeing any
> processes hanging around in the 'W' state with high CPU time.  Usually the
> system goes down after 4 to 7 days so I'll have to write a cron job to
> regularly save the Apache status page and perhaps a few other things. I'm
> tending towards this being a plain lack of ram but time will tell.

One other approach would be to install something like munin that will monitor
resources, record their data, and allow you to review graphs showing metrics
over time.  That might highlight where the shortage is coming from.

I like munin, because it is trivial to add extra monitoring to, but there
are a wide range of solutions to this problem.

        Daniel