[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 16 22:29:22 MDT 2010

On 17/08/10 13:05, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:53:57 +1000 Robert Edwards<bob at cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:
>>
>>> Senator Conroy on Hack tomorrow. Send any NBN/filter qns through to hack at abc.net.au #openinternet #ausvotes
>>>
>> Why does the ABC insist that the Australian constituency interact
>> with their elected representatives and political leaders through a
>> privately owned and operated, foreign social media site? (which,
>
> That is just one way (and I agree with you).  However, you can always
> send you message via email.  Or probably even ring them (on the old
> fashioned telephone - also owned and operated by private companies some
> of whom are foreign owned).

Private companies operating under Australian law, intended (apparently)
to look after the rights of people in Australia. And, as far as I can
tell, my phone conversations are not (yet) routed through Singapore or
India or the USA. There are clear laws that define what the private
company that operates my phone service can do with respect to tapping
or even logging my calls. Definitely not so with twitter - as to e-mail
(who uses GMail or MSN anyway?) it is somewhat murkier esp. where
international boundaries are concerned.

>> I'm uncomfortable about where this is going - clearly others aren't so.
>
> I just call people who use Twitter twits :-)
>
> Anyway, Bob, I think we should form "Grumpy old technologists". :-)

OK - sign me up. I can grump on about a whole lot more yet...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.