[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Stephen Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Aug 16 21:47:49 MDT 2010

  On 08/17/2010 01:10 PM, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> <snip>
> It's not that the ABC is dictating the means for interacting with Hack is through Twitter, it's the YOT that dictates the way we communicate with them.
Yeah, the kids today, they just don't get it, do they...

> "You want me to subscribe to a mailing list? But that takes, like, ten seconds! And I have to reply to an email!"

you forgot; "and then I have to configure my phone, which is my sole
means of communicating with people (due to not needing or wanting a
phoneline at home), and my sole internet device (due to being out of the
house all the time) to handle email, rather than using this inbuilt
application that does twitter and facebook already."

Sadly, those two mediums did a little bit of forward thinking and
realised that to engage the "Youth of Today", they needed to provide
something that worked for them, not for their
parents/uncles/familes/elders, and targetted mobile device makers to
include their product.

Some of my monitoring clients are now requesting Nagios alerts via
Twitter, Jabber and Skype, as it's cheaper than SMS notifications (think
notifying a team of 25 that the eastern seaboard has just dropped off
the internet), and everyone's phones will at least handle a audible
notification of a twitter mentioned or direct messages, rather than
scrolling through a weekend's worth of email to find more info.