[clug] [OT] Ugly vicious swine Web developers

Antti Roppola anttir at shub-niggurath.elder-gods.net
Mon Aug 16 21:02:55 MDT 2010

> Scott Ferguson wrote:
> >  Good morning shiny, happy CLUGers :-)
> >
> > Not entirely Off Topic as it involves Linux as a back-end, Joomla! and
> > Open licensed scripts...
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a means of warning potential victims of unscrupulous
> > Web Site Designers/Developers?

This is no different to any other shonky trader that you see on tabloid TV. Insurance, financial advice, roof restoration, they all work the same way to take advantage of unequal power relationships. So the best approach seems to be consumer education. For example, I always advice people to:
 - seek and speak to references before engaging web site developers
 - look at other people's sites to get a feel for what they want/need on their own site
 - speak to a few providers before making a decsion
 - be aware of common deceptive practices and pitfalls i.e have a look at webpagesthatsuck.com

Name and shame? Tempting but keep in mind that everyone is entitled to Natural Justice. Posting *your* opinion on mailing lists and Internet forums without giving the subject an opportunity to have their side heard is a recipe for abuse. For example, what if dodgy companies start bad-mouthing your name as a precaution?

Cheers,

Antti