[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 16 21:10:36 MDT 2010

On 17/08/2010, at 12:53 , Robert Edwards wrote:

>> Senator Conroy on Hack tomorrow. Send any NBN/filter qns through to hack at abc.net.au #openinternet #ausvotes

> Why does the ABC insist that the Australian constituency interact
> with their elected representatives and political leaders through a
> privately owned and operated, foreign social media site?

MSN is foreign-owned, as is GMail.

ABC.net.au is Australian-owned.

The interaction with elected representatives is being done through the email address, not twitter.

> (which,
> apparently (I don't know as I don't use it), now does targetted
> advertising - something the ABC should be careful not to endorse).

Most people I know have stand-alone twitter clients. Unless the ads are coming in tweets inserted into the user's tweet stream, I don't see any problem.

> Doesn't the ABC have enough resources to offer a local Australian
> alternative?

The catch is that email is "last decade" stuff for the Youf Of Today (YOT).

Tell the YOT that we used to have mailing lists for coordinating social events, they won't believe you!

> I'm uncomfortable about where this is going - clearly others aren't so.

It's not that the ABC is dictating the means for interacting with Hack is through Twitter, it's the YOT that dictates the way we communicate with them.

"You want me to subscribe to a mailing list? But that takes, like, ten seconds! And I have to reply to an email!"

Alex