[clug] [OT] Ugly vicious swine Web developers

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Mon Aug 16 19:20:23 MDT 2010

Scott Ferguson wrote:
>  Good morning shiny, happy CLUGers :-)
>
> Not entirely Off Topic as it involves Linux as a back-end, Joomla! and
> Open licensed scripts...
>
> Can anyone suggest a means of warning potential victims of unscrupulous
> Web Site Designers/Developers?

> When they hired this company (I'll call them the Cartel 'cause it's part
> of their business name) they asked me to look at the initial website and
> tell them "what I think" (as a favour).
[snipped]

Hi Scott,

Step 1.  Name the company when you write nicely worded rants against them, if the principles are dodgy then name them too.  Then when the next potential client does an internet search on the company they will find your warning and go elsewhere, the more people who they rip off the more warnings that get out there.

Your assurance that the client owns the site may not be correct, they should get a lawyer to review the contract.  If the contractor created the site then my understanding is that by default they own the copyright to the work.  I believe it's complicated by the nature of the contract (work for hire is different) but it's not simple and if it's not specifically addressed in the contract they should get advice on it.

Hiring contractors is always a bit hit and miss, I'm consistently surprised and honoured by the trust people who employ me for contracts have.  A 12 page (mostly) static site is fairly simple and personally I'd be looking for a talented kid just out of highschool.  Or you can go with a large professional group and get a very expensive guarantee, depends on your risk profile I suppose.

David