[clug] Ubuntu Netbook Edition - simple question, (hopefully)

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 21:31:18 MDT 2010

 On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:20:43 +1000 Daniel Pittman
<daniel_at_rimspace.net>  wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions at gmail.com> writes:
>> >  On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:43:32 +1000 Sanders King
>> > <sanders_at_mupanda.com>  wrote

>>> </cut>
>> >
>> > An afterthought... you may in fact already have the required packages.
>> > I suspect Ubuntu uses perl to implement singleton - check your installed
>> > packages for perl.
> Perl is installed: Debian, and by extension Ubuntu, don't work without it.
> Non-trivial parts of the package installation tools are built with it.
>
> [...]
>
>> > http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/column/a-half-dozen-ways-script-a-singleton-application-only-one-right
> ...that just uses Perl as an easy way to build an example of how a software
> package could internally implement the "singleton" model, which in fact is
> more or less how current browsers do.
>
> However, Perl is irrelevant to the point of the article and, unless Ubuntu are
> wrapping every single executable in their "Netbook Remix", has nothing in
> particular to do with how they implement this.
>

> I strongly suspect that their NetBook focused launcher plays a much more
> significant role in mapping the application to the windows it creates, and
> either selecting or launching those.
>
> (Although, many of their core applications, such as Firefox, OOo, and a bunch
>  of the GNOME tools all implement this singleton pattern on their own. :)
>
>         Daniel
> -- ? Daniel Pittman ? daniel at rimspace.net ? +61 401 155 707 ? made
> with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

Thank you Daniel  - I was wrong, on a number of points.
I don't know how Ubuntu implements singleton. It may well be with the
use of Perl, (a quick scan of Netbook packages shows the word singleton
in a few perl packages),whether is is the "perl" package or "perl-base"
is irrelevant.
To further confuse Sanders, I don't even know what applications his
build is running.

Cheers for the input