[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sun Aug 15 02:02:56 MDT 2010

On 15/08/2010, at 5:17 PM, Sam Couter wrote:

> Neill Cox <neill.cox at ingenious.com.au> wrote:
>> Just as well I didn't say Zoophilia then :)
>
> Indeed. :)
>
>> In your judgment, but there are others who will argue that watching such
>> material increases the possibility of harm coming to others.
>
> That's an argument with very little supporting evidence, and even that
> supports the view that it's a minority that are affected.

Well maybe true but risk is always assessed as a likelihood/impact tuple, the minority affected are often affected badly and tend to spread it around with a big shovel.  Once again, IMO this is a hard one, a grey area where no matter where you place the slider there's going to be a significant portion of pissed off people

> There are far
> greater harms to society permitted, such as TV shows like Today Tonight
> and A Current Affair being allowed to continue.

I wish I could argue here but I've always thought the same thing :-)

>> People are not
>> harmed every time someone speeds on a public road either.
>
> Excessive speed presents a risk to others, a potential harm, and the
> justification for speed limits is that society only accepts a certain
> level of risk of harm.
>
> I hate it when the speed limit analogy is brought up because I think
> they're another example of poor risk assessment and mitigation. And by
> poor I mean completely retarded.

No doubt everyone can think of a helluvalodda /stupid/ speed limits, absolutely insane road arrangements.  Once again I don't see this as being an argument for their total abolition.  But I digress.

	--Ben.