[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sun Aug 15 01:17:39 MDT 2010

Neill Cox <neill.cox at ingenious.com.au> wrote:
> Just as well I didn't say Zoophilia then :)

Indeed. :)

> In your judgment, but there are others who will argue that watching such
> material increases the possibility of harm coming to others.

That's an argument with very little supporting evidence, and even that
supports the view that it's a minority that are affected. There are far
greater harms to society permitted, such as TV shows like Today Tonight
and A Current Affair being allowed to continue.

> People are not
> harmed every time someone speeds on a public road either.

Excessive speed presents a risk to others, a potential harm, and the
justification for speed limits is that society only accepts a certain
level of risk of harm.

I hate it when the speed limit analogy is brought up because I think
they're another example of poor risk assessment and mitigation. And by
poor I mean completely retarded.

> For the record - despite being a "nutcase cannibal blood drinking wannabe" I
> am:
>
> - Opposed to the internet filter (for both technical, philosophical and
> moral reasons)

Both of those three?

> - In favour of tolerance towards other people's sexual
> practices/proclivities so long as harm to others is not involved
> - In favour of a harm minimisation approach to drug problems rather than a
> law and order/moral panic approach
> - Strongly in favour of allowing people to make their own moral decisions
> - Completely uncaring about how much X-rated porn other adults choose to
> watch.

You sound like a decent human being. I don't think you've been paying
attention in church.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au