[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Fri Aug 13 21:54:07 MDT 2010

Ben Nizette wrote on 14/08/10 1:37 PM:

> Quite right, IMO this encapsulates a lot of what's wrong with the
political climate at the moment which in turn is quite tightly linked to
the current short media cycle. The current massive inundation of (often
exaggerated or sensationalised) news means that a) politicians are too
scared of making a slip-up to campaign in any way aggressively and b) a
whole bunch of misinformed people make the mistake of assuming they have
the whole story because they watched Ten News /and/ A Current Affair.

> While I write this I'm watching a debate on federalism on ABC News
> 24 and just heard a relevant quote:
>
> "Democratic parliament struggles against the media of Infotainment
> we have today which so abuses it's power" - Michael Kirby
> (he went on to excuse his present company :)

Great quote.
Cuts to the heart of the matter.
[Which is why our conversations do matter and can make a difference.]