[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Neill Cox neill.cox at ingenious.com.au
Thu Aug 12 23:06:40 MDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:

> Neill Cox <neill.cox at ingenious.com.au> wrote:
> > I call strawman.
> >
> > Some of the items that are refused classification involve harm to others:
> >
> > - Bestiality: Harm to animals who cannot give informed consent
> > - Pedophilia: Harm to children
> > - Sexually violent material - some of which may involve consenting
> adults,
> > but there is certainly material involve where one of the parties is not
> > consenting.
>
> And I can't defend the production of any of that material. But not all
> material is so objectively easy to dismiss, eg. material that depicts
> simulations of any of the categories you mentioned.
>
> BTW, I'm going to split a hair here: Pedophilia doesn't harm children
> because it's a sexual preference or deviance or mental illness depending
> on your viewpoint but not an action. Acting on those urges and actually
> molesting children harms them whether you're taking pictures of it or not.

Just as well I didn't say Zoophilia then :)

> > Even as an adult your freedoms are restricted in many ways.  You cannot
> > legally travel at whatever speed you like.
>
> Not on a public road, but that's because of the increased risk of
> substantial harm posed to others. I can do so (and have) on a race track,
> for example.
>

> You cannot legally inflict harm on others.
>
> Now who's busting out the strawman? Reading a book or watching a movie
> doesn't harm others.

In your judgment, but there are others who will argue that watching such
material increases the possibility of harm coming to others.  People are not
harmed every time someone speeds on a public road either. Alternatively,
supporting the production of such material may cause harm to others.

> > Material you may want to view as an adult may have harmed others in its
> > production.
>
> And it's absolutely fine that people who harm others are prosecuted.
> That's not the problem.

I'm not sure I agree that there is a problem.  Excessive censorship would be
a problem,  possibly our current system qualifies as excessive. But I find
the argument that all censorship is evil completely unconvincing.

For the record - despite being a "nutcase cannibal blood drinking wannabe" I
am:

- Opposed to the internet filter (for both technical, philosophical and
moral reasons)
- In favour of tolerance towards other people's sexual
practices/proclivities so long as harm to others is not involved
- In favour of a harm minimisation approach to drug problems rather than a
law and order/moral panic approach
- Strongly in favour of allowing people to make their own moral decisions
- Completely uncaring about how much X-rated porn other adults choose to
watch.

Cheers,
Neill