[clug] ATA errors.

David Austin david at d-austin.net
Thu Aug 12 20:47:20 MDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Peter Barker
<pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Andrew Janke wrote:

<snip>

> Next question (from reading that page) - what is a "port number" according
> to libata :-)

Gets very hard to determine!

> If your devices are distinguishable on model number, there's enough
> information in the dmesg output I've looked at to determine the device.

Model number is in /proc/scsi/sg/device_strs (at least for me)

> You may also be able to examine the SMART information?

In the past I've used the serial number to find a failing drive.

smartctl -i /dev/sdX

Gives model and serial info.  It may also appear in dmesg though
it's hard to spot the serial number.

David