[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Peter Lavender plaven at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 11 23:50:23 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 10:28 +1000, Bob Edwards wrote:

> I am not necessarily against having a 100Mbps link, I just don't see
> why the minister is using SmartGrid as part of his argument. This is
> not going to need anything more than about 300bps, if that. The
> minister must have more compelling reasons to invest $43B for the
> NBN than enabling SmartGrids.

It's late, but I'd say "Future CEO or Board Director" for said minister.

Hell, it's only $43billion of tax payers money to sew up a future plumb
job.

Self interest runs rife, there little to argue that the city needs
faster broadband, and certainly won't cost 43billion to bring the
regions and country upto ADSL2 surely??

Given the initial cost of the infrastructure and the intent to sell it
on ( at a loss I would expect too, only to then privatise the profits ),
I can't see huge uptake of the service, think transact... what sort of
uptake have they had since rolling out the cable?

Granted there are extreme examples of HD streaming and 5 people in a
video chat, but even in a house full of chicks I don't see that as a
reality, you know facebook, texting and even video calls on the mobile
seem to be good enough.

Just like email opened up the world of written communications didn't see
me send or recieve any more contact from family  and friends,
10brazillion bits at my door step isn't going to make things any better,
and not at the cost of the debt my children have to pay.

Oh.. I guess when we're old and the govt of the day can't afford us old
fogies because the country got something it just HAD to have,  they can
smite us from planet via our our beaut and really fast broadband
connection to our life support machines.

14,400 bps modems were slow, 56kb/s modems were slow, ADSL2
modems/always on internet rocks!

gigabit to my house?  Seriously?? who needs it?  Seriously... who
really /needs/ it?