[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Shayne Flint shayne.flint at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 22:45:02 MDT 2010

I'm not sure if it has already been noted on this list, but Gillard
announced this morning that the NBN will be providing 1 gigabit to the
home - '10 times what was originally planned ' - her words.

Hmmmm

On 12/08/10 14:36, Michael Still wrote:
> On 8/11/10 4:21 PM, Jim Croft wrote:
>> The likely visible cost to consumers is interesting...  as whiz bang
>> as the NBN might be, I may not be able to afford the best bits.  Using
>> Transact monthly charges as an example:
>>
>>    Cable 1 M  $75
>>    Cable 2 M  $85
>>    Cable 8 M  $95
>>    FttH 20 M  $85
>>    FttH 30 M  $130
>>    FttH 100 M  $150
>>
>> If I read this right, when the fibre comes to my door (2612, half way
>> up the hill... are you listening NBN?) I should get a tenfold increase
>> in speed for no additional cost (2M to 20 M) but it will cost double
>> for the whole enchilada.
>
> Internode's current NBN pricing:
> http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/fibre_to_the_home/nbn_plans/
>

> I assume prices will go down over time. Their 100mbit plan is only $30
> more than what I pay now, for a brazillion times the speed.
>
> Mikal

Dr Shayne Flint, MIEAust, CPEng
Senior Lecturer and Associate Head Coursework (Semester 2, 2010)
School of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Computer Science
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T:  +61 2 6125 8183
F:  +61 2 6125 0010