[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:08:45 MDT 2010

On 12 August 2010 11:50, Ben Nizette <bn at niasdigital.com> wrote:

> As far as I've been able to tell Conroy doesn't see the introduction of a filter as a new radical policy, he sees it as closing a loop-hole.  At the moment you can't get Refused Classification media by book, as a game at EB, as a DVD at Video Ezy etc etc.  He has always couched the filter not in terms of the filter itself but rather as a means to implement the same restrictions on internet-delivered media as any physically-delivered media.  I'm not convinced he expected such a huge outcry, after all (with the exception of R18+ games) no-one really objects to the restrictions on this material in physical form.

Not quite true: one of the items in the report submitted to the senate
recently was an episode of Family Guy that should have been RC but was
available to buy on DVD.

Whilst the issue of RC material does seem to be the official reason,
the Australian Christian Lobby (which does not represent my viewpoint
as a Christian) seems to have a scary amount of influence...

> Call me optimistic or naiive but I honestly don't think Conroy's trying to implement this as any kind of hush-machine, he regularly and vocally explains that he knows that this is no substitute for NetNanny etc for families, I think he just simply sees this as closing a loophole in our classification system.  The fact he refuses to see it's technically unenforceable and won't let it go I think can just be put down to pig-headedness, stubborn-mindedness and a disconnect with reality that, while scary, are hardly unique attributes amongst politicians!

As opposed to, you know, parents ensuring their young children don't
look at certain types of websites...

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com