[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Aug 11 19:25:38 MDT 2010

  On 12/08/10 11:01 AM, steve jenkin wrote:
> Alex Satrapa wrote on 12/08/10 10:40 AM:
>
>>> Layer 1 also needs to be technology-agile, in my opinion. People are
>>> going to still want to use their 3G/4G/5G device or Wifi-hotspot to
>>> access the same net-enabled services.
> They'll keep developing as now.
>
>> Standards
>> =========
>>
>> Did you know that when you move house, you can take your existing phone with you and plug it in...
>> Did you know that when you move house, you can take your existing electrical appliances with you and plug them in...
>> Did you know that when you move house, you CAN NOT take your existing Internet equipment with you and just plug it in...
> <snip>  on consistent last mile.
>

> A great exposition. Thanks.

There was only one problem with the explainations: All the examples are
stable technologies. phone 300-3000Hz duplex analogue audio, electricity
50Hz 240VAC single phase or 415VAC three phase. You could add water and
sewage to this list. There are also different  standards as you move
into the network,eg 115Kv for high tension electricity feeds, and for
larger connections, eg, ISDN primary rate (E1 speeds) for use with
PABXes. The speeds on data networks aren't  stable even at the edge as
we are discussing. As the speeds increase new layer 1 (physical)
technologies are needed. For example, different fibre is needed for
10Gbps  than 100Gbps over distances greater than about 80 km.

What is being referred to as the "Internet" in these posts is really a
data feed to the house which could potentially be many different things.
It could be multiple virtual circuits at layer 2 to separate out VoD
service or broadcast video from voice and video conferencing from lower
priority general Internet services and "virtual office" links. This is
most like where the 12Mbps proposed network offering is going wrong it
is only seeing it as a dedicated link for today's style Internet. Not as
a multi-provider multi-service data connection to the home and business.

Jeff.