[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 20:01:35 MDT 2010

 On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:28:42 +1000 Bob Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:
> Subject: [clug] [OT] Broadband clangers
>
> Kerry O'Brien on the 7:30 report last night interviewing Tony Abbott:
>
> "KERRY O'BRIEN: It's fibre that - where the signals will travel at the
> speed of light."
> (from http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2010/s2979381.htm )
>
> As if, somehow, signals travelling down fibre that "last mile" will
> somehow be noticably any faster than signals travelling down copper
> that same last mile...
>
> There was also a debate on ABC News 24 last night with Sen. Conroy
> (sorry, I simply can't grok the ABC archives...) where he says
> something like: "we need 100Mbps to enable future technologies like
> the SmartGrid".
>
> My grid meter runs at 19200baud and is bursty... I guess they may
> want to have 5000+ grid meters running per household... that would
> be a killer app for a 100Mbps connection...
>
> I am not necessarily against having a 100Mbps link, I just don't see
> why the minister is using SmartGrid as part of his argument. This is
> not going to need anything more than about 300bps, if that. The
> minister must have more compelling reasons to invest $43B for the
> NBN than enabling SmartGrids.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

Obviously Conroy is an id10t. He probably "thinks" SmartGrid (spend $20
save 20c) is some sort of internet enabled education system.
Next week he'll be announcing a new internet filtering system to stop
people typing "google" into google, and breaking the internet :-D
Rumour has it that he actually has called desktop support to help open
his laptop!
Can't wait till he discovers Cloud computing and connects it the ozone
layer.... bet he spends a lot of time looking for the "any key" ;-p

Cheers