[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Tue Aug 10 19:22:24 MDT 2010

  On 11/08/10 11:04 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> "smartest" or not, I actually accept that a faster network is
> essential and will
> be absolutely necessary in the near future. I expect most media to
> migrate to
> digital delivery (even the current FTA TV) with a significant higher
> speed/bandwidth
> demand than we are comfortable with now.

Been wondering why Foxtel hasn't moving in this direction for year. They
would have a killer app with VoD served over DSL lines.
> And since I do not like privately owned basic services - I dislike the
> idea that
> electricity, gas, water, phone, hospitals etc. are privately managed
> for profit -
> I am for some government led plan for an NBN (of some kind, fiber is
> not the only
> solution).

Notice these are all Natural Monopolies.
> So, putting aside the less-than-professional (but entertaining)
> political discussion,
> the real question remains: do we want a national network or do we
> trust that
> "the market is always correct" and let it just happen.
>
> As you probably already understood, I do not trust the "market".
Market only work when the environment they operate in makes them
function correctly. Unfortunately, most of the big players spend on lot
of time and money on lobbying to try and distort the legal environment
in their favour. I don't need to name examples here as I'm sure you can
think of plenty. If you can't just pick up any newspaper.

Jeff.