[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:53:54 MDT 2010

On 11 August 2010 10:41, David Austin <david at d-austin.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Bob Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I am not necessarily against having a 100Mbps link, I just don't see
> > why the minister is using SmartGrid as part of his argument. This is
> > not going to need anything more than about 300bps, if that. The
> > minister must have more compelling reasons to invest $43B for the
> > NBN than enabling SmartGrids.
>
> Methinks you're overrating the intelligence (and importance)
> of ministers in general and especially this one!

You forgot to mention that neither Conroy nor Gillard are Bill Gates, too.
Geordie Guy summed it up well:

http://www.geordieguy.com/?p=522

> Perhaps there's some deeper truism here about politics and understanding
> of IT being mutually exclusive.

Apparently, not knowing about "techy stuff" is de rigueur, yet you don't
claim to not understand y'know ... economics (even though many of them
clearly don't).

> BTW: Quick plug for the Pirate Party to address vaguely related issues:
> http://pirateparty.org.au/

Leaving the link in, in case anyone missed it ;)

Cheers! Lana

Devotees of grammatical studies have not been distinguished for any very
remarkable felicities of expression.
  - Amos Bronson Alcott

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more