[clug] [OT] Managed desktop switches?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 6 01:29:08 MDT 2010

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> writes:
> On 06/08/2010, at 14:17 , Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>> Most home WAPs have this. Eg. a Linksys WRT54G has a 5-port 100MBps
>> switch that supports 802.1q VLAN etc.
>
> I was under the impression that the VLAN tagging was only used for
> communication between the processor and the switch, with the switch
> stripping out the VLAN tags on the way out to the network. Is this not so?

You can send VLAN tagged or untagged packets on any interface; obviously, if
you are allowing the host at the other end of the cable to set the tags you
are going to trust them to some degree to do the right thing.

So, no, not just.  From the client side, though, it is most common to tag at
the switch, since that way the client is not part of the trust domain.

        Daniel