[clug] [OT] Managed desktop switches?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 6 01:00:42 MDT 2010

Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 14:17 +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>> Most home WAPs have this. Eg. a Linksys WRT54G has a 5-port 100MBps
>> switch that supports 802.1q VLAN etc. and is managed vi a web UI
>> until you install White Russian or Kamakaze and then you can manage
>> via SSH as well. Plus it has a wireless access point.
>
> +1 for OpenWRT, it's a great platform (they're actually now up to
> OpenWRT 10.03 Backfire.) I never want to see a proprietary, buggy, home
> router web interface again.
>
> The only requirement on your list that I'm not sure OpenWRT will do is
> port mirroring. Do you want that for sniffing traffic? Is being able to
> log into the actual router and run tcpdump an acceptable solution?

Why bother?  You can install a NetFlow probe on the router and use that to
ship traffic details, which covers the majority use of port mirroring, or
establish a bonding device, which covers the last.[1]

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, Linux supports those features; I have no idea how hard or easy they
     are to get playing nice with the OpenWRT platform.