[clug] [OT] Managed desktop switches?

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Thu Aug 5 23:48:46 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 14:17 +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
> Most home WAPs have this. Eg. a Linksys WRT54G has a 5-port 100MBps
> switch that supports 802.1q VLAN etc. and is managed vi a web UI
> until you install White Russian or Kamakaze and then you can manage
> via SSH as well. Plus it has a wireless access point.

+1 for OpenWRT, it's a great platform (they're actually now up to
OpenWRT 10.03 Backfire.) I never want to see a proprietary, buggy, home
router web interface again.

The only requirement on your list that I'm not sure OpenWRT will do is
port mirroring. Do you want that for sniffing traffic? Is being able to
log into the actual router and run tcpdump an acceptable solution?

- Angus