[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Aug 5 16:10:07 MDT 2010

> My take is that the point of FLOSS is a set of mutual
> obligations/assistance.  I write code that might help you, you write
> code that might help me.

My impression of FOSS is that you write software in the interest of the common good, I use it and help you improve it by submitting bug reports, bug fixes, refactoring, etc. There is no bartering of projects involved, otherwise there are millions of people violating your sensibilities every day because they use eg: Samba without contributing anything.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit#Split_development

> upstream; upstream asked them submit smaller, more manageable patches
> (to make it more obvious where something came from, etc.).  Apple
> couldn't be bothered so they forked it instead.

Yet with some education of how to better interact with the project, Apple has improved their behavior. They got educated and improved their cooperation with the KHTML community, which to me is great considering their history of playing their cards close to their chest and requiring people to sign NDAs if they walk within spitting distance of the Apple campus.

It helps if you read the whole document instead of just read the words that support your own bias.