[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 01:05:29 MDT 2010

On 04/08/10 13:45, Jim Croft wrote:
> c'mon... the dealbreaker is, it is closed and doesn't run linux  :)
>
> doesn't have microSD memory card slot either.  and requires iTunes
> (ptui!).  and they don't give you access to a directory structure and
> the ability to create stuff and move it aound... and...
>
> but having said that, it is a nice package and they are a lot of fun
> to play with...
>
> jim
>
> heard the other day that someone had jailbroken on and put android on
> it.  I guess people are already trying to sneak a version of linux
> inthere.  I am hanging out for the clones. every phone and computer
                                      ^^^^^^

Cute. The Apple accolytes hard at work. Many of the so-called "clones"
mentioned in this thread actually precede the iPad, some by many months.
Other devices not mentioned have been around for years. I have an NEC
T-200 tablet computer with a 1GHz Celeron, 512M RAM and a 10" Wacom
touch screen which is 5 years old. Runs Linux nicely too. Slightly
larger and heavier than the iPad my wife brings home from work
sometimes and the battery only ever lasted up to 2.5 hours (no where
near that anymore...)

Apple can claim some degree of innovation and invention with the
Newton MessagePad, but after that mostly they are just incrementally
developing what everyone else has been doing for ages.

Tilt-sensor: I think Nintendo may have been to market with that well
before the iPod Touch had them
GPS: I have several PDAs with GPS in them dating back 5 years or more
Multi-touch capacitive screen: may be an Apple first, I don't know. My
Apple MacBook has had a multi-touchpad for several years.
etc.

The main selling feature of the iPod/iPhone/iPad is the Apple iTunes
store (hardly innovative).

Don't get me started on iPods. I bought my Diamond Rio500 over 10 years
ago.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.