[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 00:54:21 MDT 2010

On 5 August 2010 16:47, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Yet another example of Apple and their accolytes muddying the waters as
> to what constitutes "free". If I want to develop apps for _my_ CPU in
> _my_ phone that _I_ purchased (assuming that I had one, which I don't)
> then I would need to pay money and sign up with "the man".
>
> If I don't pay the money and sign up, then I can develop all I like,
> but I can't upload anything to _my_ CPU in _my_ (hypothetical) phone.
>
> This is not "free". It may not be the case that "it's impossible to
> install apps except through the Apple Store", but it is the case that
> it is not possible (sans jail-breaking the phone, which may or may
> not now be legal in the U.S.) to install apps on the iPhone without
> Apple's endorsement and signing up with them (which I object to on
> principle and it's not "free").

Exactly; and I also find this hypocritical of companies like Apple
that will leach off of FOSS projects (the kernel in OSX, KHTML, etc.)
but don't play allow others to have the same privilege when it comes
to their actual products.

<sarcasm>Then again, the reason you have to pay for the privilege of
putting software onto your device is that it you didn't need to then
script kiddies and hackers everywhere would be installing nasty
root-kits and viruses onto it!  So really, it's for your own
good!</sarcasm>

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com