[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 00:47:59 MDT 2010

On 05/08/10 16:37, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 05/08/2010, at 16:24 , Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>> I may be being picky, but how did you become a developer?
>>
>> A FOSS developer doesn't need anyone elses say-so.
>
> You can get the XCode IDE for free (it's not FOSS free, but is an interface to FOSS tools such as gcc), and develop code with it - you are now a developer.
>
> Actually shipping apps to an iPhone (via iTunes or ad-hoc distribution) requires being an iPhone Developer Program partner (that's where the $99/year comes in).
>
> If you want to write FOSS stuff, stick to HTML5 apps.
>
> Alex

Yet another example of Apple and their accolytes muddying the waters as
to what constitutes "free". If I want to develop apps for _my_ CPU in
_my_ phone that _I_ purchased (assuming that I had one, which I don't)
then I would need to pay money and sign up with "the man".

If I don't pay the money and sign up, then I can develop all I like,
but I can't upload anything to _my_ CPU in _my_ (hypothetical) phone.

This is not "free". It may not be the case that "it's impossible to
install apps except through the Apple Store", but it is the case that
it is not possible (sans jail-breaking the phone, which may or may
not now be legal in the U.S.) to install apps on the iPhone without
Apple's endorsement and signing up with them (which I object to on
principle and it's not "free").

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.