[clug] Debian: VLAN/802.11Q in /etc/network/interfaces?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Aug 5 00:27:40 MDT 2010

On 05/08/2010, at 16:00 , Jeremy Kerr wrote:

>> From the Debian Network Configuration wiki page[1]:

Funnily enough, even searching for "Debian vlan vlan_raw_device" only manages to get that page in as hit #8 behind such gems as this:
  http://www.mysidenotes.com/2007/08/17/vlan-configuration-on-ubuntu-debian/

Which admittedly gets to the point a whole lot faster :)

And yes, managed to find the reference about three seconds before your reply hit my mailbox.

> I *assume* you'll need to have only vlans on eth0; mixing your direct
> interface with vlans on eth0 could get you into trouble.

I've had no problems with adding vlans to an existing interface (this system I'm configuring has been up for about a week with the current config, but that was all done by hand). I don't see why there would be problems, unless you're running a particularly broken ethernet interface.

Thanks for the replies on and off list, everyone!
Alex