[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Wed Aug 4 20:12:56 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 15:33 +1000, Andrew Boyd wrote:
> if I
> want to play with an Android tablet that I can have some hope of
> upgrading to the latest version of that OS, I would stick with an
> WM8505 CPU machine like an Eken M002 and be prepared to get my hands
> dirty? I know that is an oversimplification, but that seems to be
> where the evidence is leading.

Well, this is true at the present moment for that device.

If all you want is Android 2.2, then pragmatically you might be better
off just buying one of the newer & slightlier pricier crop of 2.1
devices with better hardware, and hoping the manufacturer releases a 2.2
build for it.

If you want to "fight the good fight" over open source and community
development, you could buy a WM8505 based device with 1.6 and
hope/encourage people to keep developing for it and for VIA to finish
releasing the source. :).

Again, it really depends on what you want to get out of the experience.

- Angus