[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:43:22 MDT 2010

On 4 August 2010 14:37, Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:01 +1000, Lana Brindley wrote:
> > DreamBook ePad 7/10 New!
> >
> > From
> > $199 RRP (Inc-GST)
> >
> > Operating System
> > Android 1.7
> >
> > Sold!
>
> I don't mean to question your purchase, but wanted to point out that the
> same device is available, unbranded and significantly cheaper, through
> various Hong Kong & Shenzhen retailers:
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42216
>
> Although for the extra money the Dreambook has a statutory Australian 12
> month warranty, plus some assurance that it's not a knockoff clone, and
> both these things may actually be worth it.
>
> Also, FWIW, Android 1.7 is a misprint. It's Android 1.6 munged in with
> version 1.7 of VIA's "WMT SDK" hardware support package. (It's the same
> hardware as my Eken M001, just different enclosure and double the RAM,
> so I've done quite a bit of digging around in there.)
>
> I'd also love to hear a quick review when it arrives, or at least some
> general comments on build quality & usability. :)

I haven't actually bought it. But thanks for the tips anyway. To be honest,
I've been considering buying a Kobo e-reader. For the same price, it seems
almost sensible to get a tablet instead. (Yeah, yeah, different horses etc.
More functionality for same dollars seems reasonable though).

> - Angus
>
> PS The DreamBook doesn't seem to have a USB port, either. ;) Although
> unlike the iPad it looks like the USB adapter comes in the box.

I've closed the page now, but I thought I say it said it had a USB 2.0 port
somewhere?

As soon as CLUG has coughed up the 200 smackers though, I'll grab one and
review it for you all ;)

Cheers! Lana

Quarrel? Nonsense; we have not quarreled. If one is not to get into a rage
sometimes, what is the good of being friends?
  - George Eliot

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.