[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Tue Aug 3 22:37:43 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:01 +1000, Lana Brindley wrote:
> DreamBook ePad 7/10 New!
>
> From
> $199 RRP (Inc-GST)
>
> Operating System
> Android 1.7
>
> Sold!

I don't mean to question your purchase, but wanted to point out that the
same device is available, unbranded and significantly cheaper, through
various Hong Kong & Shenzhen retailers:

Although for the extra money the Dreambook has a statutory Australian 12
month warranty, plus some assurance that it's not a knockoff clone, and
both these things may actually be worth it.

Also, FWIW, Android 1.7 is a misprint. It's Android 1.6 munged in with
version 1.7 of VIA's "WMT SDK" hardware support package. (It's the same
hardware as my Eken M001, just different enclosure and double the RAM,
so I've done quite a bit of digging around in there.)

I'd also love to hear a quick review when it arrives, or at least some
general comments on build quality & usability. :)

- Angus

PS The DreamBook doesn't seem to have a USB port, either. ;) Although
unlike the iPad it looks like the USB adapter comes in the box.