[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Tue Aug 3 20:54:15 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 12:12 +1000, Andrew Boyd wrote:
> not really Linux-y per se

Well, it has a Linux kernel so it seems Linux-y to me. :).

>  I'm interested in realistic comparisons
> between the emerging Android tablets and that other one from Apple.

I've been interested in these as well. I have a similar device, an Eken
M001 7" tablet that I got from Dealextreme. Small review, with some iPad
comparison drawn, here:
http://projectgus.com/2010/06/eken-m001-android-tablet-review-pt-1/

<digression>
I also spent some time looking for a similar device with decent open
source credentials (search did not go well):
http://projectgus.com/2010/07/open-source-in-android-tablets/

Since that post VIA has released most of the kernel source for the
WM8505 which is used in the Eken and some of the other bargain basement
models. There are promising signs that they're going to release source
for the remaining kernel components, as well. Which means there's a good
chance of getting Android 2.x to run.
</digression>

Alastair will probably post as well, he has a Smart Devices SmartQ
tablet that seems to have better build quality than my Eken, although
still not a lot of after-sales support or GPL compliance.

> Does anyone know of a local (ACT) supplier of iPeds?

I don't, and I'd be surprised if too many distributors are keen to
import for at least three reasons: poor QA, negligible vendor
after-sales support, and (lesser reason) the threat of being pursued
legally for GPL violations.

Even KMart in the US, who recently started selling a $150 tablet branded
the Augen Gentouch78, appear to be rolling them out very slowly so they
can judge the reaction (and number of returned items) before they go
further.

The "best" (stressing the air quotes) resource I've found for these
devices is the slatedroid forums, http://slatedroid.com/ .

> I've played with
> a few iPads - the "is it three times better than an iPed for three
> times the money?" question is bugging me

The difference seems to be determined by: what do you want it for?

Hth.

- Angus