[clug] Verifying SPAM or Google Recruiting

James Ring sjr at jdns.org
Tue Apr 27 19:19:49 MDT 2010

Hey,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Steve Jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:19:07AM +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
>> There's a linkedin profile for someone of that name claiming to work
>> for Google HR:
> Well, there would be, wouldn't there :-)
>

> Seriously, phising and hackers/fraudsters do get very specific and go
> to great lengths.

If the message asks you to send your resume to Google along with a $50
"application fee", probably don't do that!

> Or the guy is a genuine HR at GOOG, but his gmail acct. has been hacked.
> [Think of why The GOOG left China].
>
> Paranoid or Cautious?
>
> Who are The GOOG trying to recruit?
> People who are careful, disciplined professionals who take the trouble
> to 'verify sources', or something else??

The people who do the sourcing (like this email) are different from
the people who evaluate the candidates and make the hiring decisions.
They also have different objectives; the sourcing people want to get
as many people in the pipeline as possible and will use many
techniques to find leads, the hiring people want to find the best of
these. These groups aren't always coordinated and the "sourcers" are
often non-technical.

Anyway like Grant says the message is for real.

> If they'd used GPG to sign the message and I could download the key from
> subkeys.google.com, I'd not bother you guys...
>
> But seriously, The GOOG hitting on me with random SPAM and
> a word-doc attachment? What are the chances?
> [didn't mention that before]

Regards,
James