[clug] OT: ADSL2+ and AM radio interference

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Mon Apr 26 20:35:48 MDT 2010

Haha.

reminds me of an .... incident from the early 90's. coax network years.
Secret Place rings up to suggest that someone has a bug planted on their
network, as they keep getting random network crashes.

Tech Team is sent to chase.

After much effect they eventually establish that:
* network has a loop that runs behind the tea room
* tea room has a fridge (unsurprisingly)
* fridge has a faulty condenser.
* every time the condenser kicks in, *large* electrical spike is induced
onto the network causing it to... crash.

Fridge fixed. Problem went away.

The other side of this is TEMPEST[1]. Which is way cool to watch being
done:
Yelling at lady two floors down: "NONNONONONONONO!!!! Black Jack on the
Red Queen!!!" Solitaire... not so solo anymore.

The principles are the same. Electrical stuff radiates. Deal with it.

Cheers!
- S
[1] Tiny Electromagnetic Particles Emitting Secret Things