[clug] Super Dumb question. Network filesystems... (linux Digest, Vol 88, Issue 35, Message 3)

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Apr 25 21:59:26 MDT 2010

Miles Goodhew wrote on 26/04/10 12:46 PM:
> Carlo,
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Carlo Hamalainen
> <carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apparently old versions of openssh had "-e none" that would do what you want.
>
> "-e none" is still there, but it refers to the PTY escape character,
> not encryption (Yes, I thought I'd better go off and RTFM incase I'd
> missed something blindingly obvious).
>   There is however a "-c" flag (cipher), which makes no mention of a
> "none" or similar option, just the usual AES, 3DES, blowfish, etc.
>   I can see why you'd want to make it pretty difficult to disable
> encryption as the capability could be used for sly ways (social
> engineering, etc.) of breaking something that says "SECURE shell" on
> the tin. Nevertheless it'd be nice if it could enabled somehow.
>
> M0les.

OpenSSH has an explicit goal of "secure by default".
They removed 'cipher-none' at the start. (see below)
I haven't been able to find an on-line doc that says exactly why...
Did they decide, Big Brother style, that it was too dangerous for mere
users? The option was removed from the SSH2 standard...