[clug] Super Dumb question. Network filesystems: NFS, CIFS and ???

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 23:23:04 MDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Adam Baxter <voltagex at voltagex.org> wrote:
> SSHFS is great until you try to use it on smaller, less powerful devices
> like my SheevaPlug - the transfers become CPU bound.

Really? I was keen to get a SheevaPlug because my Asus WL500gP
struggled with sshfs streaming an AVI file.

My home setup is: Asus 7401VGPR3; SheevaPlug (1Tb SATA drive on USB)
on ethernet; Asus EEEPC 1000H on wireless.

I tried copying a 690Mb file from the SheevaPlug to my EEEPC using
sshfs. CPU usage hovered around 40% on the SheevaPlug. I timed it four
times:

real	4m11.789s
real	0m54.695s
real	0m49.543s
real	4m11.923s

I guess it depends how much of the 690Mb made it into cache in the
SheevaPlug's 512Mb of ram.

Next I tried netcat to see what the transfer speed would be without
encryption overhead.

On the SheevaPlug: $ nc -q 0 -l -p 9999 192.168.1.2 <
ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
On my EEPC (at 192.168.1.2): $ time nc bobcat 9999 > /tmp/foo.iso

real	4m7.762s
real	4m10.489s
real	4m12.122s
real	4m11.070s

So it looks like the SheevaPlug's CPU isn't the limiting factor in my situation.

I suspect that things would be different if the target computer was on
ethernet as well?

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net