[clug] Super Dumb question. Network filesystems: NFS, CIFS and ???

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 01:29:35 MDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> In this world of metadata and interesting filesystems, I thought there
> might be new ones in relatively common use I was missing.
>
> Wikipedia has a Category for Network File Systems:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Network_file_systems>
>
> Sort of comments I was after:
>  a) "I use XXX in production systems", and
>  b) "I've seen/used YYY in research, home, small-scale"

At home I tried to set up NFS to serve up a 1Tb drive (torrents,
backups, etc) but issues with mapping gid/uids annoyed me. Now I use
sshfs. I have an alias:

alias mountbobcat='sshfs carlo at 192.168.1.70:/ /bobcat/'

My partner has the same alias, and by copying her ssh key to the
server, logging in is quick and easy and on her laptop/username the
files appear to her as if she owned them.

It's fast enough to stream an AVI file over our wireless network.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net